Wednesday, December 24, 2008

arrivals.

i lucked out and got on a direct flight for guatemala via miami. there were even some empty seats on the plane! i flew taca' and woah! can i just say how much i hate american airlines. when i flew san francisco to miami, they charged me ten bucks for a sandwich and 3 bucks for a bag of lays. heh. on taca i got free alcohol kids! my first alcohol drink on a plane ever was a double rum and coke, on the house. it was a spectacular flight. i watched my sassy girl and cried. cried!

my couple of days here have been pretty interesting. my camera broke at the gua airport' all i´ve got are shots of the new airport terminal. boo. i´m probably going to end up buying a new camera here because while i like the novelty of disposable film cameras, they are just that. a novelty. unless i get a holga.. helga.. whatever. one of those pseduo artsy fishbowl ones. that might actually be pretty fun. anyways, i´ve got no pics to show for now.

the only interesting place i´ve gone so far is the cemetery, as it´s tradition to visit the graves on thew morning of christmas night. we passed by some flower vendors posted just outside and i really really wished i had had my camera' it was a gorgeous array of red, blue, white, and green everywhere. it was chockful of people from all over the city buying flowers.. people in business suits, gym shorts, miley cirus t shirts and wipils. the two ladies hustling it were decked out in full indeginous decor- head to to toe beautiful textiles and a fierce attitude to match. there was no bargaining on this morning. if you didn´t buy there were tons of others behind you waiting to buy that bouqet. i visited my uncle´s grave and i thought about all the fun he was and how much his spirit is missed at my grandmother´s house. he truly brought any place he went to life.

my grandmother has remained a true blue character.. i only lasted one night there. i´m now enjoying the holidays with my aunt and uncle on the outskirts of the city. squee! internet, tv, fun cousins, booze galore!

2 comments:

adry said...

Haha, wipils, I remember I had to wear one for some multicultural thing at my elementary school.

Where in Guatemala are you staying?

Hops said...

currently on the outskirts of guatemala city, road to el salvador. i´m probably staying here till new years, which i´m gonna spend in antigua. hoodie hoo!

Followers

yeah really.

My photo
enthusiasm to the core